POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Journey to an Unknown Region [wip] : Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip 2] Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Journey to an Unknown Region [wip 2]
From: Kenneth
Date: 11 Dec 2009 00:20:01
Message: <web.4b21d5e95af25d565f302820@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:
> This is interesting I believe, although still far from perfect. What I did
> here is:
>
> - introduce a spherical pattern to make the normal in the rock texture
> gradually disappear;
> - add trees to the background valley with a treeline somewhere in the snow;
> - add rocks to the surface and make them scale down with distance.
>
> Thomas

My first thought on seeing your 2nd WIP was, "Oh, now there are too *many*
rocks."  But actually, it does look right, in the way that shards of rock break
off and congregate on the slope near the bottom of a rocky cliff, after eons of
going through the freeze/thaw cycle.

Looking better and better!

Ken